Lions Clubs International begins 2nd Century of Service!
Lions Clubs International (LCI), formally know as “The Association of Lions Clubs“, is a service organization with over 46,000 clubs and almost 1.5 million members in 205 countries around the world. LCI is the largest secular nongovernmental service organization in the world. Our motto is “We Serve“.
Since 1917, Lions Clubs have supported their local communities and answered global humanitarian needs. Worldwide, through the combined “Association” of clubs, and locally each Lions Club now works in the areas of sight preservation, world hunger, disease prevention and elimination, hearing and speech conservation, diabetes awareness, youth outreach, international relations, environmental issues, and other programs. “Where there’s a need, there’s a Lion“.
* Club “Ground Hog Pancake Breakfast” 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Feb. 10, 2018 at First United Methodist Church. For Tickets call Lion Dan Madden at 972-841-4386.
* Coppell Lions hold Diabetes Screening
* Coppell Lions host Wine Tasting Event
* Coppell Lions Sponsor “Goalball” Team at Region 10 Sports Extravaganza
* Coppell Lions purchase large standing fan for Texas Lions Camp.
* Club Holiday Food & Toy Drive planning is under way.
* Coppell Lion “Friendly Visitors” visit MacArthur Hills Senior Center for Bingo.
* Club members vote on Middle School “Peace Poster” submissions.
* Club sponsored “Magic Show” scheduled for Jan. 4, 2018 at First United Methodist Church.
The Coppell Lions Club was chartered by LCI in 1983 and has since supported our community with vision exams, eyeglasses recycling, literacy, diabetes awareness, Christmas toy and food drives, providing handicapped children with free summer camp programs, supporting the Coppell Nature Park, and awarding college scholarships to local high school seniors. Over the years, the Coppell Lions have given over $129,000 to area students to complete their college education. And starting this year, Lions will also focus on fighting Childhood Cancer. Learn more about our club by clicking here.
In 1917 Melvin Jones, a Chicago businessman, asked his fellow Chicago business club members, “What if these men who are successful because of their drive, intelligence and ambition, were to put their talents to work improving their communities?” Jones introduced his personal code, “You can’t get very far until you start doing something for somebody else“. They all agreed and the focus of their club became community service. Melvin then wrote letters to similar business clubs around the country. They met in Chicago on June 7, 1917 and agreed to merge into an association. The “Association of Lions Clubs” , now know as LCI, was founded at the first convention which was held in Dallas, Texas on October 17, 1917. The concept of “Lionism”, service to others in need, has spread around the globe
The stated purposes of Lions Clubs International are:
To Organize, charter and supervise service clubs to be known as Lions clubs:
- To Coordinate the activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs.
- To Create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
- To Promote the principles of good government and good citizenship.
- To Take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
- To Unite the clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
- To Provide a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided, however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
- To Encourage service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.
Our Club in Coppell serves the immediate community and the North Texas area as we strive to foster our founding commitments at home and around the world.