Lions Clubs International – starting a 2nd Century of Service! 1917 – Present
COPPELL LIONS CLUB Facebook Page (Club Events and Photos)
Coppell Lions Club Mission & Impact Brochure
Coppell Lions 2020 Pancake Breakfast and Health Fair
Coppell High School Leos Service Project Article
The Coppell Lions Club was chartered in 1983. The club has received the Lions Clubs International’s Club Excellence Award each of the last 8 years (2011 – 2012) through (2018 – 2019) and LCI’s Centennial Service Award the three years it was given. They have also received the Lion District 2-X1 “Club of the Year” award for the (2012-2013) and (2015-2016) “Lion” years.
Lions Clubs International (LCI), formally “The Association of Lions Clubs”, is the world’s largest NPO service organization with almost 47,000 clubs and over 1.46 million members in 205 countries around the world. LCI, it’s clubs and it’s foundation (LCIF) have made a difference in over 200 million lives in just the past three years.
LCI’s motto is “We Serve“. Since 1917, Lions Clubs have supported their local communities and answered global humanitarian needs. Worldwide, through the combined “Association” of clubs, and locally each Lions Club now works in the areas of sight preservation, world hunger, disease prevention and elimination, hearing and speech conservation, diabetes awareness, pediatric cancer, youth involvement, international relations, environmental issues, and other programs. In other words ….
“Where there’s a need, there’s a Lion”.
Our Coppell Club serves the immediate community and the North Texas area as we support our Service commitments at home and around the world.
2019/2020 Major Club Donations –
The “Lions Clubs International Foundation” for local and worldwide disaster and humanitarian relief.
The “Texas Lions Camp” (TLC is a free residential summer camp for children with physical disabilities, type 1 diabetes and pediatric cancer). Contact our club or visit lionscamp.com for more information.
And the “Primary Care Clinics of North Texas” (a 501(c)(3) non-profit healthcare facility that provides medical care to uninsured adults in the metroplex) https://www.primarycareclinic.org.
Coppell Lions Awards and New Officer Initiation Banquet was held June 17th 2019. Past District Governor Lion T.J. Tijerina of San Antonio spoke and officiated the installation of the new 2019-2020 CLUB OFFICERS.
* Coppell Lions hold Diabetes Screening Events
* Coppell Lions host Wine Tasting Event
* Annually sponsor a “Goalball” Team at Region 10 Sports Extravaganza (field day events for blind and visually impaired children).
* Annual Holiday Food & Toy Drive typically serving 120 families in Coppell.
* Monthly “Friendly Visitors” with MacArthur Hills Senior Center for Bingo.
* Annual Middle School Lions Clubs International “Peace Poster” contest.
The Coppell Lions Club was chartered in 1983 and has since supported our community with vision exams, eyeglasses recycling, literacy, diabetes awareness, Christmas toy and food drives, providing handicapped children with free summer camp programs, supporting the Coppell Nature Park, and awarding college scholarships to local high school seniors. Over the years, the Coppell Lions have given over $133,000 to area students to assist in their college education. Now, Lions also focus on fighting Childhood Cancer. Learn more about our club by clicking here.
In 1917 Melvin Jones, a Chicago businessman, asked his fellow Chicago business club members, “What if these men who are successful because of their drive, intelligence and ambition, were to put their talents to work improving their communities?” Jones introduced his personal code, “You can’t get very far until you start doing something for somebody else“. They all agreed and the focus of their club became community service. Melvin then wrote letters to similar business clubs around the country. They met in Chicago on June 7, 1917 and agreed to merge into an association. The “Association of Lions Clubs” , now know as LCI, was founded at the first convention which was held in Dallas, Texas on October 17, 1917. The concept of “Lionism”, service to others in need, has spread around the globe.
The stated purposes of Lions Clubs International are:
To Organize, charter and supervise service clubs to be known as Lions clubs:
- To Coordinate the activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs.
- To Create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
- To Promote the principles of good government and good citizenship.
- To Take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
- To Unite the clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
- To Provide a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided, however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
- To Encourage service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.