Coppell Lions Club – Lions Clubs International begins it’s 2nd Century of Service!
Lion Clubs International (LCI) is a secular service organization with over 50,000 clubs and more than 1.4 million members in 205 countries around the world.
The Coppell Lions Club was chartered in 1983 and has since provided support to the community in sight restoration programs, literacy, diabetes education, Christmas toy and food drives, handicapped children programs and scholarship awards to local high school seniors. Over the years, the Coppell Lions have given over $125,000 to area students to complete their college education. Learn more about our club by clicking here.
Lions Clubs International, was founded in the United States on June 7, 1917 by Melvin Jones, a Chicago businessman. Jones asked, with regard to his colleagues, “What if these men who are successful because of their drive, intelligence and ambition, were to put their talents to work improving their communities?” Jones personal code, “You can’t get very far until you start doing something for somebody else,” reminds many Lions of the importance of community service.
The Lions motto is “We Serve.” Focal Lions Club programs include sight conservation, hearing and speech conservation, diabetes awareness, youth outreach, international relations, environmental issues, and other programs.
The stated purposes of Lions Clubs International are:
To Organize, charter and supervise service clubs to be known as Lions clubs:
- To Coordinate the activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs.
- To Create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
- To Promote the principles of good government and good citizenship.
- To Take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
- To Unite the clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
- To Provide a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided, however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
- To Encourage service-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.
Our Club in Coppell serves the immediate community and the North Texas area as we strive to foster our founding commitments at home and around the world.